FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) -- Police in Fayetteville are investigating a homicide after a deadly shooting that happened in broad daylight Saturday.
The incident happened around 11:20 a.m. at the College Arms apartments along the 4700 block of Republican Road near the Ramsey Street corridor, Fayetteville police said in a news release.
Police said that a resident of the apartment complex heard gunfire and then found the victim on the ground behind one of the buildings in the apartment complex.
The victim was Robert Lee Morrison, 55, who lived in the apartments, police said.
He was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, but later died, police said.
CBS North Carolina spoke with a neighbor who says he knew Morrison.
He tells me he found the victim lying on the ground before police got there and he tried to save his life.
"I tried to administer heart compressions, CPR, his body was still warm when I got there, so I had to try," said David Howard, a neighbor.
No suspect information was released by authorities.
Anyone with any information regarding the homicide investigation is asked to contact Detective D. Franklin with the Fayetteville Police Department at (910) 723-4650 or Crimestoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477).
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Raleigh mom shares heartbreaking story of teen's death in opioid overdose crisis
- Johnston County school leaders discuss funding for new security measures
- VIDEO: 2 dogs rescued from plastic-lined pond in Wayne County
- Winter Weather Advisory issued for parts of Central NC