Officials: Wake Forest house fire that injured 1 caused by 'smoking materials'

WAKE FOREST, N.C. (WNCN) - A house fire in Wake Forest that sent a man to the hospital with burn injuries Thursday was started by "improperly discarded smoking materials," according to Wake County fire officials.

RELATED: Wake Forest fire sends 1 to hospital

The fire happened on Cobble Ridge Court just before 3:30 p.m., according to officials.

The homeowner tried to knock the fire down with a hose, a neighbor said. Fire officials said the fire ended up damaging much of the home.

The Wake Forest Fire Department battalion chief said the fire started in a shed near the house, but it then spread to the house and the attic.

The homeowner suffered what are believed to be first-degree burns and was taken to WakeMed.

Wake County fire officials would not confirm if the house fire was started due to a cigarette. When asked specifically, the official repeated that the fire began due to improperly discarded smoking materials.

Officials did not provide an update on the condition of the man injured.

More Stories

North Carolina News Headlines

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center