CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) -- When Vincent Mitchell took in a donation of more than 70,000 bouquets of flowers, he didn't know what to do with them at first.
The Charlotte man owns Heavenly Hands Home Care which contracts with Pro Flowers. The company donated the flowers to Vincent's business, but he had way more than he could handle.
The business owner decided he'd give those flowers away.
"With all the stuff going on in Florida and in schools, we decided to give the flowers to teachers," Mitchell said.
He wanted every educator to smile, and know someone cares. He spent the better part of Thursday and Friday making sure almost 2,000 boxes of flowers made their way into every school in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools system -- for every CMS teacher.
He also took many to the Veteran's Administration Hospital in Charlotte.
Mitchell also took flowers to many Gaston County schools.
"I wanted to let people know that there's still good people in the world that does good things for folks," Mitchell said.
Friday afternoon, administrators at Phillip O. Berry Academy of Technology distributed their allotment of flowers to a group of smiling teachers. Many were surprised to find out the motive behind their gift.
"We appreciate everybody who sends good thoughts our way," one teacher said.
Mitchell says giving the flowers away hasn't made him any money, but it's provided something far greater in return, "It's like receiving rewards you know? It's a rush."
Copyright 2018 WBTV. All rights reserved.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- CHAD COPLEY SENTENCED TO LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE FOR MURDERING KOUREN THOMAS
- 1 DEAD, 2 SERIOUSLY INJURED IN CRASH ON US 15-501 IN DURHAM; ALL LANES CLOSED
- KNIGHTDALE TEEN CHARGED WITH THREATENING TO 'SHOOT UP' SCHOOL, SHOWING GUN ON FACETIME
- REPORT: DUKE, UNC, NC STATE NAMED IN NCAA INVESTIGATION INTO POSSIBLE VIOLATIONS
- FORT BRAGG SOLDIER GIVES DAUGHTER INCREDIBLE 16TH BIRTHDAY SURPRISE
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Birthplace of NC native Nina Simone to be preserved
- Missing NC 12-year-old's body recovered near Norfolk pier
- Man charged with shooting NC police officer in back
- Dad drowns trying to save daughters from rip current at Atlantic Beach