FAIRFIELD, N.C. (WNCT) - An inmate was stabbed with a homemade weapon at a Hyde County prison Wednesday morning.
It happened around 9 a.m. in the recreation yard at Hyde Correctional Institution, according to a news release from the North Carolina Department of Public Safety.
The injuries of the inmate who was stabbed do not appear to be life-threatening, according to the NCDPS.
The incident is under internal investigation and local law enforcement was contacted.
The NCDPS is cooperating with local law enforcement related to any criminal charges that may be filed.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 100 LB MOM OF 4 DOMINATES BURGER-EATING CONTEST IN RALEIGH
- DRIVER WHO KILLED NCCU FRESHMAN SKIPS OUT ON SENTENCING HEARING
- 911 CALLS HELP CAPTURE NC SEX OFFENDER, AMBER ALERT CANCELLATION
- MAYOR WHO WON BY 7 VOTES SWORN IN HOURS AFTER COURT APPEARANCE FOR DWI CHARGE
- BILL CLINTON SAYS 'TODAY' INTERVIEW WASN'T HIS 'FINEST HOUR'
2 arrested after transporting...
Birthplace of NC native Nina Simone...
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Birthplace of NC native Nina Simone to be preserved
- Missing NC 12-year-old's body recovered near Norfolk pier
- Man charged with shooting NC police officer in back
- Dad drowns trying to save daughters from rip current at Atlantic Beach