MURPHY, N.C. (WSPA/WNCN) - A North Carolina teacher is accused of sex acts with a student, according to Cherokee County Sheriff Derrick Palmer.
Palmer says they began an investigation into a report that Kayla Sprinkles had engaged in sex acts with a student while she was teaching at a Cherokee County high school on March 26.
The HAVEN Child Advocacy Center assisted in some of the interviews due to the age of the children interviewed, according to the report.
Sprinkles, 26, of Hayesville was indicted on June 4 on 5 counts of felony sex activity with a student.
Sprinkles found out about the indictment and left the area, according to the report.
She surrendered herself the Mecklenburg County Detention Center in Charlotte and was released on a $25,000 bond.
Sprinkles was a teacher at Andrews High School in Andrews, according to a report from the Clay County Progress newspaper.
Sheriff Palmer stated “Our youth and our students are one of the greatest resources that Cherokee County is blessed to have. It is incumbent upon all of us to ensure their safety and wellbeing as they grow and mature.”
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- CHILD PLAYING WITH LIGHTER IGNITES DURHAM HOUSE FIRE
- FATHER AND SON DEAD AFTER 'SUSPICIOUS FIRE,' JOHNSTON COUNTY OFFICIALS SAY
- WOMEN FACE CHARGES FOR MAILING DRUGS HIDDEN IN LETTERS TO NC INMATE
- WILD HORSE AT OUTER BANKS HIT AND KILLED BY CAR
- 3 FOUND DEAD IN HOME NEAR LAKE GASTON IN HALIFAX COUNTY
2 arrested after transporting...
Birthplace of NC native Nina Simone...
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Birthplace of NC native Nina Simone to be preserved
- Missing NC 12-year-old's body recovered near Norfolk pier
- Man charged with shooting NC police officer in back
- Dad drowns trying to save daughters from rip current at Atlantic Beach