SOUTHERN PINES, N.C. (WNCN) -- Officials were called out to investigate a death on Saturday night in Southern Pines.
The incident occurred at a home in the 1100 block of West Indiana Avenue around 8:30 p.m., the Aberdeen Times reported.UPDATE: Southern Pines man charged with second-degree murder in death of stepfather
According to officials at the scene, it was determined that an older male victim was deceased under what were called suspicious circumstances by law enforcement
Police cordoned off the area around the house that the incident occurred with crime scene tape. West Indiana Avenue was closed to traffic at the intersection of South Hardin Street and at the corner of South Carlisle Street.
A crime scene unit with the Southern Pines police department responded to the home along with detectives and senior police officials. Late Saturday night, the investigation is still underway with limited details being released about the incident or the victim.
The Southern Pines Police Department, the Aberdeen Police Department, the Moore County Sheriff's Department, Southern Pines Fire & Rescue, Moore County EMS and the NC State Medical Examiner's Office responded to the incident.
Anyone with information pertaining to this incident should contact the Southern Pines Police Department at 910-692-7031 or the Southern Pines Police Department's Crime Tip Line at 910-693-4110. Information can be left anonymously.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 8 new flu deaths reported last week, 328 total deaths this season
- NC family scammed out of rent money after fire destroys home
- NC lawmakers meet on school safety
- Strong opinions on both sides as public debates moving Confederate monuments out of Raleigh