GAINESVILLE, FL (AP) - A 28-year-old man accused of killing a baby in Georgia has been arrested after being shot while trying to flee a SWAT team in Florida.
Authorities say Carlton James Mathis will be charged with aggravated assault in Florida in addition to charges in Georgia and Alabama once he's released from the hospital.
Alachua County Sheriff's spokesman Brett Rhodenizer told news outlets that Georgia's Hall County Sheriff's Office had notified them Sunday that Mathis could be in north Florida, based on information from an On-Star-enabled vehicle. He was tracked down in nearby Levy County.
The Gainesville Sun reports that police in Dothan, Alabama, recovered what they believe are the remains of the 6-month-old baby from Hall County, Georgia.
There was no information provided on the child's death or the suspect's condition.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 100 LB MOM OF 4 DOMINATES BURGER-EATING CONTEST IN RALEIGH
- DRIVER WHO KILLED NCCU FRESHMAN SKIPS OUT ON SENTENCING HEARING
- 911 CALLS HELP CAPTURE NC SEX OFFENDER, AMBER ALERT CANCELLATION
- MAYOR WHO WON BY 7 VOTES SWORN IN HOURS AFTER COURT APPEARANCE FOR DWI CHARGE
- BILL CLINTON SAYS 'TODAY' INTERVIEW WASN'T HIS 'FINEST HOUR'
Dog dies in hot car as owner spends...
Woman tried to suffocate her mother...
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Family mourns slain dad who was among 7 shot after birthday party in Sanford
- Truck was left in road before crash that killed Rocky Mount officer, sources say
- Groups plan to file federal complaint against Raleigh police
- Damage reported as severe storms hit parts of central NC