FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) - Police say officers located a woman shot to death inside a home in the 500 block of Lamon Street Sunday morning.
Officers responded to the home just before 7 a.m., in reference to a 911 call reporting a woman had been shot.
Police have not released the woman's name.
Once inside the home, police found the woman dead in a back bedroom.
"We don't know exactly when she was shot yet, that's something they'll look at whenever our forensics teams get inside and with help of the medical examiner we'll determine the time of death," said Shawn Strepay of the Fayetteville police.
Late Sunday afternoon, Fayetteville police announced they were looking for a person of interest in the case.
Police said they were looking for Matthew Laurence White, 39.
The property on Lamon Street is a boarding house for low-income residents.
At least eight tenants live in the building.
The property owner says the victim shared a room with her boyfriend.
"I saw her on yesterday, she seemed to be happy, she was talking to a loved one ... about them meeting up in the near future," said neighbor Arnita Bristol.
Earlier Sunday police said they wanted to locate and speak to the victim's boyfriend. It's unclear if White is the victim's boyfriend.
At this point, he is not considered a suspect and there are no charges as of yet.
Anyone with any information regarding this homicide is asked to contact Sgt. Orellano with the Fayetteville Police Department at (910) 988-6543 or Crimestoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477).
Stoneman Douglas student arrested for...
Crash shuts down lanes on I-40 at S....
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Ambulance flips on I-440 near Capital Blvd.
- Raleigh mom shares heartbreaking story of teen's death in opioid overdose crisis
- Johnston County school leaders discuss funding for new security measures
- VIDEO: 2 dogs rescued from plastic-lined pond in Wayne County