By KRQE - ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) - A New Mexico woman is fighting for her life after being diagnosed with a Hantavirus infection.
"A month ago she was going to go to Costa Rica with a bunch of girlfriends, and enjoy a fun week. Now she can't even go do anything on her own," said Julie Barron.
Barron says it is hard to watch as her daughter, Kiley Lane of Aztec, struggles to recover. Kiley suddenly got sick last month.
"She is in the ICU unit over here at UNM at the hospital, because she has the Hantavirus," said Barron.
It is a potentially fatal virus, spread through contact with infected rodent urine or droppings. Barron has no idea how her 27-year-old could have contracted it.Read more on the Hantavirus from the CDC
"We don't know. We wish we did, but that's the concern," she said.
Barron says a family created a Youcaring fundraising page to help. Generous strangers have donated more than $23,000 so far.
"That coming in is really what it says, it's people caring," said Barron.
Barron says she wants to also use the page as a platform to help raise awareness of the potentially deadly disease.
The family has faith that Kiley will pull through, thanks to the ECMO machine. The device is new to the state, and UNMH is the only hospital with it.
Doctors at UNMH previously told KRQE it can essentially bring people back to life by circulating blood through their body.
"It does save lives. It's going to save Kiley's life and I feel very confident that had she hadn't gotten on this machine, then we wouldn't be here talking about it," said Barron.
Now, all the family can do is wait for the day they can say "let's go home," to Kiley.
Barron says the money collected through the Youcaring page will most likely go towards medical expenses.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- FRANKLIN CO. MOM FORCED INTO LABOR EARLY BY HIT-AND-RUN LEAVES HOSPITAL WITH BABY
- WOMAN CHARGED AFTER SEATING DISPUTE LEADS TO GUNFIRE IN NC MOVIE THEATER
- 15-YEAR-OLD GIRL KILLED, 2 OTHER TEENS HURT IN WAKE FOREST CRASH
- NEW LOOK AT BRUTAL 1971 ORANGE COUNTY DOUBLE MURDER
- FRIEND OF MISSING NC MAN SAYS HIS BODY HAS BEEN FOUND
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Search called off for NC man who fell in river while canoeing
- Measles case confirmed in Wake County, officials say
- NC radio station worker killed in motorcycle crash
- NC deputies seek help finding teen missing for a week