RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Patrick Bailey hit two home runs to help North Carolina State beat Northeastern 9-3 in Saturday's elimination game at the NCAA Tournament's Raleigh Regional.
N.C. State, the No. 16 national seed and regional host, lost Friday to Army. But the Wolfpack (41-17) responded with a fast start behind Bailey, who hit a two-run homer in the first inning then added a three-run shot in the fifth.
Evan Edwards also drove in three runs while Josh McLain added three hits for the Wolfpack.
Brian Brown (7-2) earned the win with a complete-game performance, allowing eight hits while striking out eight.
Scott Holzwasser and Jeff Costello hit homers for the third-seeded Huskies (36-21), which lost Friday against Auburn. Northeastern trailed 6-0 in this one and managed just one run through the first seven innings.
David Stiehl (3-2) took the loss, allowing six runs and five hits in 2-2/3 innings.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- ALE CRACKS DOWN ON ILLEGAL MOONSHINE OPERATIONS ACROSS NC
- CANCER SURVIVOR HELPS STOP PAIR BEHIND NC CRIME SPREE
- WILSON K-9 DIES AFTER LAST SHIFT BEFORE RETIREMENT
- 12 CASES OF 'MOVIE MONEY' PASSED AS CASH TRIGGER WARNING IN CUMBERLAND COUNTY
- WOMAN MURDERED IN HARNETT COUNTY WAS AN NC STATE STUDENT, OFFICIALS SAY
NC State routs Army 11-1 at NCAA tourney
Heritage HS linebacker commits to NC...
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Family mourns slain dad who was among 7 shot after birthday party in Sanford
- Truck was left in road before crash that killed Rocky Mount officer, sources say
- Groups plan to file federal complaint against Raleigh police
- Damage reported as severe storms hit parts of central NC
- NC high school student dies in crash in Argentina during school trip
- Transgender NC elementary student not allowed to use girls' bathroom at school, mom says
- NC woman at home with mom is killed as man forces his way in house, officials say
- Fire destroys NC home as resident leaves food cooking to go walk dog, officials say