MOULTON, Ala. (AP) - A special-needs student had a one-of-a-kind prom date when an NFL player returned to his home county in Alabama to take her to the dance.
Don Jones is a 27-year-old defensive back for the San Francisco 49ers who is from Lawrence County. He tells WBRC-TV it was a "blessing" to go to the prom Friday night with 18-year-old Lindsey Preston, who has Down syndrome.
Jones is a family friend. His mother taught Preston in elementary school.
Preston's mom, Kristi Martin, tells The Associated Press that Jones danced with all the students and "made everybody feel special."
Jones played at Arkansas State before going pro. He has played for the Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, Cleveland Browns and Houston Texans.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: MOMENTS BEFORE DOUBLE-MURDER INVOLVING KNIGHTDALE INCEST COUPLE
- HOLLY SPRINGS FLOODING CATCHES WOMAN BY SURPRISE, SWEEPS UP BRAND NEW CAR
- RARE SHARK CAUGHT OFF FLORIDA COAST
- CAR SPLIT IN HALF IN NC CRASH; 1 INJURED, 1 WALKS AWAY UNINJURED
- TARANTULA BURGER BEING SERVED AT BULL CITY BURGER IN DURHAM (SERIOUSLY)
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- NC man forces way into home, accuses girl of taking weed, deputies say
- NC authorities investigate assault of middle school teacher
- NC day care director charged with striking 2-year-old
- Former NC policeman slammed woman 'face first to the ground,' indictment says