GREENSBORO, N.C. (WNCN) – Starting with Thursday’s games, the remainder of the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament will be played without fans, according to a statement issued by the league Wednesday night.
NCAA President Mark Emmert announced earlier on Wednesday that the NCAA Tournament would be played without fans after a recommendation from the NCAA COVID-19 Advisory Panel.
Beginning Thursday, the remaining games will be played with only essential tournament personnel, limited school administrators, student-athletes’ guests, broadcast media, and credentialed media members present, the statement said.
The ACC had said earlier on Wednesday it intended on continuing as planned.
Thursday’s games begin at 12:30 p.m. with Florida State vs. Miami. Duke and North Carolina State are also set for a rubber match after the two split their regular-season meetings.
More COVID-19 headlines:
- Amid record-high hospitalizations, Triangle doctors expecting more COVID-19 patients in coming weeks
- ‘We’re being massacred’ – NC restaurants, already suffering, now face stricter mask rules
- With Thanksgiving approaching, Durham man reflects on losing his mother to COVID-19
- NC mask mandate tightens but not all masks are created equal, scientists say
- Gov. Cooper adjusts retail rules ahead of Black Friday shopping