FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Cumberland County schools announced Tuesday evening that some field trips would be canceled as the coronavirus spreads.
For now, schools are remaining open, officials said in a news release.
“Our top priority is the safety and well-being of our students, staff, and community,” officials said in the news release.
However, all out-of-state and out-of-district field trips by students and staff are canceled.
Officials said that travel by students and staff in North Carolina “may continue subject to review on a case-by-case basis.”
Earlier on Tuesday, Wake County Public Schools officials said that all field trips will be canceled for students and staff until further notice.
Below is the full news release from Cumberland County Schools:
Earlier today, Gov. Roy Cooper declared a state of emergency to help limit the spread of COVID-19, which is also known as the Coronavirus. This will have several immediate effects on our school district. This action will enable government officials to take extra measures to protect the public.
Based on information from state officials, our schools will remain open as we continue to monitor this situation. This decision reflects guidance that children are at low risk of serious illness. Our top priority is the safety and well-being of our students, staff, and community. Effective immediately and until further notice, Cumberland County Schools will adhere to the following guidance:
- All out-of-state field trips and travel by students and staff are canceled.
- All out-of-district field trips and travel by students and staff are canceled.
- Travel by students and staff to in-state sports competitions will continue, subject to guidance from the NCHSAA.
- Travel by students and staff to in-state co-curricular competitions may continue subject to review on a case-by-case basis. Prior to proceeding with these competitions, principals should contact their assigned Central Services program liaison for additional guidance.
This guidance is subject to change based on updates from local and state health officials.
More COVID-19 headlines:
- 3 Wake County high schools confirm COVID-19 case associated with athletics
- Trump suggests he can ‘give every woman and every man a kiss’ and not catch coronavirus
- New data: More COVID-19 clusters in NC coming from social gatherings, religious services
- Coronavirus deaths are rising again in the US, as feared
- As some students return to schools, some Wake County parents frustrated by increasing virtual class sizes
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now