RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — With a statewide mask requirement in effect, the city of Raleigh and Wake County teamed up to hand out 30,000 free masks Saturday.
WakeMed partnered with volunteers and community leaders to distribute them to people in the southeast portion of the county.
Organizers point out that the region has some of the highest case numbers in the county. The area targeted for the free masks includes the 27610 zip code.
“(That area) has a large population where COVID-19 rates are really, really high and we wanted to assist in efforts to make things better for our community,” said Mary Deschamps, President of A.K.A. Sorority Inc.
Organizers say it’s also important to the community that the masks being distributed are free — particularly during this difficult economic time.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- FDA places import alert on Mexican hand sanitizers over ‘toxic ingredients’ – see the list of sanitizers to avoid
- Winston-Salem police investigating after body found is identified as man missing since November
- Biggest snow of season still on track overnight for central NC
- Convenience vs. privacy: How apps like Facebook Messenger spy on users
- Anticipation of snow leads to schedule changes for central NC schools, colleges