MINNEAPOLIS (WCMH) — NBA star Karl Anthony Towns says his mother is in a coma after contracting COVID-19 and he’s urging the public to take the virus seriously.
The Minnesota Timberwolves player shared his story on Instagram.
Towns’ parents fell ill last week, and went to the hospital after several days.
His father was released into quarantine at home, but towns said his mother began deteriorating.
After taking other measures, doctors told him his mother would have to go on a ventilator and they put her in a medically-induced coma.
The coronavirus has already infected tens of thousands of people in the US, killing hundreds.
Officials are urging Americans to practice social distancing to mitigate the virus’ spread, but some people are ignoring those precautions.
Towns said, “My mother is the strongest woman I know, and I know she will beat this. and we will rejoice when she does.”
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Border agent charged with violating woman’s civil rights by forbidding cellphone recording of arrest
- Tillis or Cunningham: Which candidate is receiving more search traffic?
- Cracker Barrel set to add alcoholic drinks to its menus
- Bilingual newspaper celebrates heritage, keeps Latino community connected
- Child sex offender at Butner dies after testing positive for COVID-19 for 2nd time, officials say
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now