RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — On Wednesday, multiple counties across North Carolina reported more positive COVID-19 cases and deaths — well after the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services gave their daily update.
NCDHHS reported 1,584 COVID-19 cases in their daily update.
Factoring in new cases reported later in Durham County (16), Harnett County (3), Cumberland County (3), and Mecklenburg County (21), among others, North Carolina has at least 1,600 COVID-19 cases.
In Mecklenburg County, a second death was reported. Details surrounding the patient were not made available.
Bertie County officials announced that a resident died due to complications of COVID-19. The individual was at least 65 years old.
A veteran of the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office died early Wednesday morning from complications of the coronavirus.
Wilkes County reported its first COVID-19 death, Wilkes County Health Director Rachel Willard told sister-station FOX8.
The woman was in her 60s with underlying health conditions. She died in the hospital in North Wilkesboro. They have two other cases there now, Willard said.
In Rockingham County, health officials reported the first coronavirus death in the county.
The person died on Wednesday from complications associated with the virus.
The patient was in their 60s and had several underlying medical conditions.
“Our deepest sympathies are with the family and loved ones at this time. We want to reiterate the importance of citizens staying home until further direction from our government and health leadership”, said Lance Metzler, Rockingham County Manager.
Factoring in those deaths reported after NCDHHS’s daily count, state officials have reported at least 15 COVID-19 related deaths.
There are at least 1,584 COVID-19 cases and nine deaths in North Carolina, according to health officials.
A total of 204 patients are currently hospitalized due to coronavirus and 26,243 tests have been completed, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services reported Wednesday morning.
A total of 79 of North Carolina’s 100 counties are reporting cases.
The number of reported COVID-19 cases across the state was at 935 on Saturday, 1,167 by Sunday evening and at least 1,307 on Monday. Health officials reporter 1,498 on Tuesday.
Wednesday’s numbers come a day after President Donald Trump warned Americans to brace for a “hell of a bad two weeks” ahead as the White House projected there could be 100,000 to 240,000 deaths in the U.S.
On Tuesday afternoon, Cherokee County reported its first coronavirus-related death. Guilford County also announced its first death in connection with the virus – pushing the state’s total to at least 10.
The individual in Cherokee County was in their late 80s and died Tuesday from complications associated with COVID-19.
Wake County reported a jump of new cases from – bringing the total number of cases to 195.
Durham County is reporting at least 126 cases as of Tuesday morning. Mecklenburg County leads the state in coronavirus cases with at least 444.
Mecklenburg, Wake and Durham counties have the most COVID-19 cases in the state.
Last week, Gov. Roy Cooper issued a statewide “stay-at-home” order that took effect at 5 p.m. on Monday as the virus continues to spread across North Carolina.
- March 3: NCDHHS announces state’s first COVID-19 case
- March 10: Gov. Roy Cooper declares
- March 11: World Health Organization declares COVID-19 a pandemic
- March 13: President Donald Trump declares a National Emergency
- March 14: Cooper issues Executive Order 117 closing K-12 public schools until at least March 30 and banning gatherings of more than 100 people
- March 16: NCDHHS recommends no mass gatherings for more than 50 people
- March 17: Cooper issues Executive Order 118 limiting operations of restaurants and bars, and broadening unemployment insurance benefits
- March 23: Cooper issues Executive Order 120 which closes public K-12 schools through May 15 and orders businesses such as barbershops and salons to close.
- March 25: North Carolina reports its first coronavirus-related deaths
- March 29: Trump extends social distancing orders through the end of April
- March 31: Cooper signs Executive Order 124 which prohibits utilities from disconnecting people who are unable to pay during the pandemic.
- April 7: Cooper will sign executive orders limiting customers in retailers and offers child care assistance to certain workers
- April 14: Coronavirus-related deaths top 100 in North Carolina
- April 24: Cooper extends stay-at-home order to May 8
- May 5: Cooper announces Phase One of reopening will being May 8