NCAA President Mark Emmert announced Thursday afternoon that the Board of Governors canceled the March Madness basketball tournament, as well as the remaining winter and springtime NCAA championships.
“This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities,” a news release said.
The NCAA had decided Wednesday to move forward with playing tournament games with limited attendance.
More COVID-19 headlines:
- NC COVID-19 survivor walks out of rehab after being pronounced brain dead
- 50 cases of COVID-19 linked to events at Charlotte church, county leaders say
- Wake County school board eyes students returning to classrooms, looks ahead to next semester
- Massive Antonov AN-124 aircraft makes special NC delivery to help fight pandemic
- NCDHHS releases demographic breakdown of COVID hospitalizations