HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Orange County has announced a stay-at-home order will go into effect Friday at 6 p.m. to help curb the spread of COVID-19.
It will remain in place until April 30 at 5 p.m.
The order could be extended, modified or rescinded, Orange County officials said.
“I want to be very clear about this: We need everyone to limit activities outside of the home and to practice social distancing at all times to slow the spread of this highly contagious and potentially deadly virus,” said Orange County Health Department Health Director Quintana Stewart.
The order directs Orange County residents to stay at home, leaving only for essential reasons, critical to health and safety.
Starting Friday at 6 p.m., the county said all businesses and nonprofits not expressly exempted in the order must suspend all in-person business operations.
Operations that can be conducted online or by phone, or sales that can be facilitated with curbside pickup or delivery only can continue.
Exemptions include health care operations, retail serving essential human needs, like grocery stores, pharmacies and hardware stores; fuel products and supply, news media, maintenance of critical infrastructure and transportation and critical manufacturing sectors.
For a full list, click here.
Orange County residents are to remain at home unless you are:
• Going to the doctor or vet (call first to see if you need to be seen or it can wait)
• Grocery shopping for yourself or others (limit to one trip per week or less if possible)
• Going to the pharmacy
• Exercising outdoors (like walking, running, or bicycling, or using, greenways, and trails)
• Picking up takeout food or using the drive-thru (you can also order delivery)
• Caring for a friend or family member
While the Stay at Home Order is in place:
• DO NOT go to work unless you are providing essential services
• DO NOT visit friends and family unless it is urgent
• DO NOT gather in public places
• DO NOT visit people in the hospital, nursing home, or other care facilities
• LIMIT non-essential travel