RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A Raleigh doctor is being recognized nationwide for helping the deaf community during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Dr. Sheri Mello, of the Raleigh Hearing and Tinnitus Center, helped create masks that are clear around the mouth to allow the hearing-impaired to read lips. So far, Mello has been able to donate 300 of these masks to those who need them.
“We got feedback saying, ‘Oh my gosh, this is wonderful. I can communicate with my hearing-impaired loved ones.'” And so, it really made a difference in their world, and that’s all we were wanting to do,” Mello said.
Mello has worked with some clients on the project.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- CBS 17 Job Alert – Advice for job seekers
- Texas early voting exceeds total of all 2016 ballots
- McRib is back: McDonald’s fan-favorite to be available nationwide for first time since 2012
- Daughter watches massive tree crush family’s home during Tropical Storm Zeta in NC
- Suspect in critical condition after NC officer-involved shooting