RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Target’s CEO announced several changes the store would be making to help curb the spread of COVID-19.
CEO Brian Cornell said Target will stop accepting in-store product returns and exchanges for the next three weeks.
“But don’t worry if you have a return that expires during that period, because we’ll still honor them three weeks past the holding period,” Cornwell said.
Target team members will also stop handling reusable bags – guests will be asked to bag their own items into such bags.
Target has also temporarily paused incorporating fresh grocery and adult beverages into order pickups and drive-up services.
Cornwell said a Target team member will be at store entrances to make sure carts are clean.
“We’re adding signs at the front of stores and floor decals at the checklanes to maintain safe distances between guests as they shop,” the CEO said. “Our checklanes will be cleaned after each guest transaction, and dedicated team members will guide guests in line while that happens.”
Cornwell also said Target is reserving the first hour that stores are open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the elderly and those with underlying health concerns.
Those accommodations begin next week. Check your local Target store’s opening times here.
Cornwell said Target’s sales are up 20 percent as compared to this time last year.
- March 3: NCDHHS announces state’s first COVID-19 case
- March 10: Gov. Roy Cooper declares
- March 11: World Health Organization declares COVID-19 a pandemic
- March 13: President Donald Trump declares a National Emergency
- March 14: Cooper issues Executive Order 117 closing K-12 public schools until at least March 30 and banning gatherings of more than 100 people
- March 16: NCDHHS recommends no mass gatherings for more than 50 people
- March 17: Cooper issues Executive Order 118 limiting operations of restaurants and bars, and broadening unemployment insurance benefits
- March 23: Cooper issues Executive Order 120 which closes public K-12 schools through May 15 and orders businesses such as barbershops and salons to close.
- March 25: North Carolina reports its first coronavirus-related deaths
- March 29: Trump extends social distancing orders through the end of April
- March 31: Cooper signs Executive Order 124 which prohibits utilities from disconnecting people who are unable to pay during the pandemic.
- April 7: Cooper will sign executive orders limiting customers in retailers and offers child care assistance to certain workers
- April 14: Coronavirus-related deaths top 100 in North Carolina
- April 24: Cooper extends stay-at-home order to May 8
- May 5: Cooper announces Phase One of reopening will being May 8