RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Will supplements boost your immune system and reduce the chance of catching COVID-19?
Dr. Will Bulsiewicz, gastroenterologist and gut health expert, says we shouldn’t put all of our eggs in the basket of supplements because that’s not going to get us as far as we think.
“I do think there can be some value to a few supplements,” Bulsiewicz said, “but what I want people to understand is you can’t take a C-minus immune system and turn it to A-minus by taking a few supplements.”
He says the best thing you can do is take care of your gut because that’s where most of your immune system lives.
“How do we take care of our gut? It’s with our diet. Our diet is the number one driving factor,” said Bulsiewicz.
That means eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, seasons and nuts. Bulsiewicz says fiber in those foods nurtures the gut and when we nurture the gut, “we are nurturing our immune system.”
Right now, is the time to be doubling down and re-thinking about where and how we can improve our diet and lifestyle.
Bulsiewicz said if you are a smoker, you need to stop right now, eat better, and exercise regularly.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Daughter watches massive tree crush family’s home during Tropical Storm Zeta in NC
- Suspect in critical condition after NC officer-involved shooting
- California county confirms first flu and COVID-19 co-infection
- Colorado survivalist camp with bunkers, weapons, guard towers prepared for post-election turmoil
- Ballot selfie laws: Is it legal to snap a photo in your state?
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now