FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Police in Fayetteville are investigating after a shooting on the campus of Fayetteville State University.
Fayetteville State University police say one person is in custody and one person was shot. Students said the shooting happened around 8:30 p.m., causing a lockdown.
A few classes were letting out around the time of the shooting. Students said they were held back. The lockdown was lifted at 11 p.m.
Earlier reports claimed an active shooter was on campus, but police refuted that.
Police do not know what prompted the shooting. There is no word on the condition of the victim.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- CBS 17 Job Alert – Orange County bus drivers, Robeson County detention officers needed
- Woman tells police she ‘has COVID-19,’ spits at officer to ‘infect him so he dies’
- PETA: 20 NC PetSmart stores caught violating state animal welfare regulations
- NC man arrested in Mass. for child sex assaults that occurred over 10-year span
- ‘I’m under here!’ Boy trapped under Jeep in his bedroom after drunk driver plows into home
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now