FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Police in Fayetteville are investigating after a shooting on the campus of Fayetteville State University.
Fayetteville State University police say one person is in custody and one person was shot. Students said the shooting happened around 8:30 p.m., causing a lockdown.
A few classes were letting out around the time of the shooting. Students said they were held back. The lockdown was lifted at 11 p.m.
Earlier reports claimed an active shooter was on campus, but police refuted that.
Police do not know what prompted the shooting. There is no word on the condition of the victim.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Inspectors checking ‘every nut, bolt, fastener or screw’ on NC State Fair rides
- 12 Democrats meet for first debate since impeachment inquiry
- Dutch family of 7 waiting for ‘the end of time’ discovered living in farmhouse basement
- Wake County reports most coyote sightings in North Carolina
- Fail foliage expected to peak for some North Carolina mountains this weekend
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now