SOUTHERN PINES, N.C. (WNCN) – Southern Pines police have arrested a 14-year-old in connection with a delivery driver’s car being stolen with her baby still inside.
The teen is a resident of Southern Pines but was arrested Wednesday in Aberdeen.
The 14-year-old was charged with first-degree kidnapping and theft of a motor vehicle.
His name was not released.
The incident was reported July 5 along Murray Hill Road in Southern Pines just after 9:05 p.m., according to a news release from Southern Pines police.
Police said that a gray 2015 Honda RAV-4 with Oregon license plates was stolen.
The SUV was taken while the child’s mother was making a food delivery for “DoorDash,” an online food delivery service, police said.
Around 10:15 p.m., police said the 12-month-old boy was found in the SUV along South Gaines Street in Southern Pines.
Police said the boy was quickly reunited with his mother after the child was found.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Man arrested for not returning rental car hours after telling city council he planned to sue Raleigh police
- Shoplifter stabs, pepper-sprays Walmart workers, Louisiana police say
- Gov. Cooper orders lowering of flags to half-staff in honor of N.C. native George Floyd
- VIDEO: Man detained after waving chainsaw at Texas protesters
- Gov. Cooper orders lowering of flags to half-staff in honor of George Floyd
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now