ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – State autopsies show that the two men found dead in a North Carolina hotel room in June died of drug and alcohol intoxication.
The Asheville Citizen-Times reported Saturday the autopsies of James Patrick Landreth and Jacob Bruton Galloway list the cause of death as “fentanyl, heroin, cocaine and ethanol toxicity.”
The North Carolina men were visiting the area for a rugby tournament and had celebrated their victory June 8.
They were found dead the next day by another person staying in the room at the Ashville Best Western.
A search warrant said police found no indication of drug use or foul play.
Police initially believed carbon monoxide poisoning may have caused the two deaths.
But three tests by the city’s fire department found no elevated levels in the room.
- Rabid raccoon found off busy section of Raleigh’s Wake Forest Road
- Former Raleigh teacher accused of child sex crimes at elementary school
- Warren County pastor’s wife badly beaten before fatal fire, autopsy says
- Heavy police presence in search for abducted Alabama toddler
- No public threat following fatal shooting at Fayetteville gun range
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now