CHICAGO, Ill. (Tribune Media Wire) — Two children are dead following an incident in a high-rise in Chicago’s South Shore neighborhood.
According to police, the boys were just one and two-years-old — and the incident appears to be a case of murder and attempted suicide.
Police were called to the Water’s Edge Apartments in the 7200 block of South Shore just before 2 a.m. Thursday. Upon arrival, officers discovered a woman and her 1-year-old son on the ground outside the building, according to WGN.
Security directed officers to an 11th floor apartment where they found a 70-year-old man with cuts on his face and body, and a 2-year-old boy unresponsive in a bathtub.
The man told police his daughter began stabbing him and then jumped from the 11th floor window with the 1-year-old.
Both toddlers were pronounced dead at Comer Children’s Hospital.
The man and his daughter are at the University of Chicago Medical Center in critical condition.
The young boys are Chicago’s first homicides of 2020.
- All Florida school districts must reopen campuses next month, Dept. of Education says
- Chicago man who fired gun into murder victim’s grave given 15-year sentence
- Beats by Dre announces Bubba Wallace endorsement deal: ‘Hate cannot win the day’
- Wilson 12-year-old’s car seat invention helps prevent babies from dying in hot cars
- Young girl among Chicago’s July Fourth weekend of 17 killed, 70 wounded
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now