GASTONIA, N.C. (WJZY) — Gastonia police say one person was killed and five people were wounded overnight at a block party.
Officers responded to calls around 1:34 a.m. near 3000 Earl Lane regarding a shooting.
An initial investigation showed that multiple gunshots were fired at a block party. It is unclear if there were multiple shooters.
One of the bullets struck Shelby resident Johnathan Tate Jr., 21, who was transported to CaroMont Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
The other victims suffered non-life threatening injuries.
There do not appear to be any suspects in custody at this time.
This remains an active investigation and anyone with information is encouraged to contact officials at 704-854-6645.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- No injuries after small plane crashes at Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport
- Revisiting Prince Charles’ 1996 trip to The Biltmore
- NC woman describes attack by possible coyote; photos show some of 13 puncture wounds
- Now approved to administer COVID-19 vaccine, NC dentists eager to help fight pandemic
- It’s a girl, Harry and expecting mom Meghan tell Oprah about 2nd child