2nd pit bull may have also attacked Charlotte boy

Pit bull attack_174476

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) – A second pit bull is believed to have been involved in an attack near a Charlotte park that left a young boy in a body cast.

According to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department’s Animal Care & Control, a second pit bull was taken into custody Monday night in connection to the attack on 9-year-old Jonathan Robero.

Robero was playing near Archdale Park Sunday evening when he was attacked, according to his family.

AC&C says officers found the 3-year-old pit bull mix that attacked the boy and took it to a shelter Sunday. It is being held in a ten-day rabies quarantine, which is mandated by the state, and will be held pending investigation.

After getting additional statements from witnesses, it is believed that another pit bull, owned by the same person, may have been involved in the attack as well. Officers took the 6-year-old pit bull late Monday night and it is being held in quarantine as well.

The family said the neighbor just moved into the area and says his dogs were “freaking out” when they jumped the fence.

His mother, Leslie Morgan, is still shaken up to see her son fight for his life.

“His leg was wide open. His arms was wide open,” Morgan said of the injuries, while fighting back tears.

MEDIC said they were called to the 5400-block of Cherrychest Lane Sunday around 6:30 p.m. to the report of an animal bite. The victim was taken to Carolinas Medical Center with serious injuries.

According to Robero’s family, the dog took a “big ol’ hunk” out of the boy’s left leg and right arm, tearing his muscles and nerves. He also suffered injuries to his face, ears and to the back of his head.

“He’s in a lot of pain,” Morgan said. “It was horrible.”

Family members say Robero is in a body cast. He has reportedly undergone one surgery and has another one planned for Wednesday.

One of Jonathan’s best friends, Donte Young, was at the park and saw the whole attack.

“I’ve never been this scared before,” Young said. “They just wouldn’t stop. They almost ripped his whole arm off.”

Young wants to see Jonathan out of the hospital soon.

“He’s like my brother,” Young said.

Neighbors who witnessed the aftermath of the attack told WBTV it was a terrible sight.

“It was gruesome-very, very gruesome. I wouldn’t want that on any child, any child at all, any person,” said neighbor Patrick Kenty.

Kenty said he and several other neighbors who were playing basketball tried to help the boy until paramedics got to the scene Sunday. They know the situation could’ve been even worse.

“I’m blessed that somebody was there with my baby,” said Morgan.

On Monday, some of the first responders to the scene visited Jonathan at the hospital to give him an award for bravery.

“My baby’s a hero. He was trying to save his friends,” Morgan said.

Jonathan has two younger siblings. Morgan said the children are “not going back to that park.”

Family members told WBTV they expect Jonathan to stay in the hospital for two or three months.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Sponsored Content
Visit Buy Local

Trending Stories