SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WNCN) – An 85-year-old woman died after being hit by a car in Smithfield, police said Wednesday.
Officers responded to 721 N. Brightleaf Blvd. just before noon Wednesday in reference to a motor vehicle collision involving a pedestrian. The victim, identified as Holda Phillips, of Selma, was walking through the parking lot when she was struck by a GMC Sierra truck, police said.
Phillips died at the scene.
The truck was driven by 82-year-old John Hendricks, of Souderton, Pennsylvania. He is charged with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle. He was given a $5,000 bond and is due in court on Nov. 25.
No other information was released.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Triangle-area colleges report wave of COVID-19 cases as semester begins
- Activists want Biden to defund ICE, overhaul migrant detention policies
- Nearly 1,300 COVID-19 vaccine doses wasted in NC, officials say
- Police investigating after body found in Durham neighborhood
- NC attorney general calls for federal ban of menthol cigarettes