BIRMINGHAM, AL (CNN) — An Alabama pastor is standing by his controversial anti-Trump church sign.
The sign outside of New Era Baptist Church in Birmingham reads: “A black vote for Trump is mental illness.”
On the other side, it says: “A white vote for Trump is pure racism.”
The church’s pastor, Michael Jordan, is behind the sign.
He said he is encouraging people to not vote for Trump.
“God motivates me to take a stand for what’s right. Read the Bible, if they call me a racist, look in the White House,” Jordan said.
Daxton Kirk, a Trump supporter, disagrees.
“You should not come into a building and feel that you are hated and diversified just because you came here to worship the Lord,” Kirk said.
Kirk said he has reached out to City Hall and his representative in hopes of having something done about the sign.
- Using hand sanitizer may be giving you a false sense of security
- Dog dies after saving family from Florida house fire
- Obama says presidents shouldn’t watch TV
- Washington Monument reopens after 3-year closure for repairs
- Uptick seen in rare mosquito-borne virus in some US states
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now