RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Following the mass shooting Saturday in El Paso, CBS 17 is getting answers about how to protect your family in emergency situations.
James A. DeMeo of Holly Springs has decades of experience in security and law enforcement, and is the author of “What’s Your Plan? A Step-by-Step Guide to Keep Your Family Safe During Emergency Situations.”
“Certainly a troubling situation and certainly an ever timely conversation,” DeMeo told CBS 17 following the El Paso shooting, where many were found dead inside a Walmart.
“These active shooter situations are more intense,” DeMeo added. “They’re more volatile. So to get out in front of these challenges places individuals and families tactically in a position of strength to best meet these types of challenges.”
After the El Paso shooting, DeMeo offered tips for how families can stay safe.
“They know their entrances, they know their exits,” he said. “They have fully charged cellphones. They’ve created a pre-meeting place in the event a true emergency situation happens.”
Overall, DeMeo said it’s important for families to be in tune with situational awareness.
At malls, he said people should know where law enforcement and guest services are located and to always speak up and report anything out of the ordinary.
- Thief waited for customer to pay before grabbing cash at Fayetteville store, police say
- Patient dies after being left unattended for more than an hour in hospital’s ER waiting room
- Fort Worth officer resigns after killing woman in her own home
- Amber Alert expanded for abducted Alabama 3-year-old; 2 in custody
- Driver arrested in deadly Fayetteville pedestrian crash
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now