(CNN) — The US Coast Guard is helping with the search for a missing Air Force airman who fell out of a plane during a jump training mission, Coast Guard Mobile Sector spokesman Juston Lee told CNN.
The missing staff sergeant deployed his parachute and fell about 1,500 feet into the Gulf of Mexico, he said. His name and age have not been released.
The crew aboard the C-130 plane said the airman hit the water and was treading water, but when they turned back around to find him, they couldn’t see him, Lee said.
The crew is from Hurlburt Field in Okaloosa County, Florida.
Multiple teams are continuing the search for the man.
- Local social justice groups aiming to have voting rights restored for convicted felons
- Cumberland County mom says teacher made son with autism stand alone outside
- Former Johnston Co. Superintendent seeking large pension payout
- Chlorine spill closes Durham intersection
- Death of Orange County man found in yard result of gun battle, sheriff says
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now