RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A man is dead after being hit by an Amtrak train Monday morning in south Raleigh, police confirmed.
The man was hit as the train passed the area near Hammond Road and Rush Street around 8:58 a.m., according to Amtrak officials.
The Amtrak train was stopped as police responded to the scene.
According to Amtrak, 113 people were on the Miami to New York train at the time of the collision. No injuries were reported on the train.
Amtrak posted to Twitter saying Silver Star Train 92 was stopped outside Raleigh due to a “trespasser incident.”
Police and Amtrak both say an investigation into the fatal incident is under investigation.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Celebrity chef Rachael Ray escapes after home goes up in flames
- Seafood restaurant’s permit pulled over face mask, social distancing
- Meteor shower to peak starting Tuesday; here’s how to watch
- Former long-serving state superintendent favors virtual learning during pandemic
- Money offered for info on former ‘Tiger King’ star husband