RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A man is dead after being hit by an Amtrak train Monday morning in south Raleigh, police confirmed.
The man was hit as the train passed the area near Hammond Road and Rush Street around 8:58 a.m., according to Amtrak officials.
The Amtrak train was stopped as police responded to the scene.
According to Amtrak, 113 people were on the Miami to New York train at the time of the collision. No injuries were reported on the train.
Amtrak posted to Twitter saying Silver Star Train 92 was stopped outside Raleigh due to a “trespasser incident.”
Police and Amtrak both say an investigation into the fatal incident is under investigation.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Salvation Army of Wake County’s Christmas Cheer Program registration starts next week
- Amazon officials show off gigantic new fulfillment center in Garner
- October 23: Perfect Fall Weather!
- 85 evacuated after Goldsboro senior housing building floods
- Exit on I-95 in Cumberland County reopens after closing 1 year ago