WOLLONGONG, AUSTRALIA (CNN NEWSOURCE) — An Australian cyclist has died after a bicycle crash — and it was all because of an aggressive bird.
According to Wollongong police, the 76-year-old man was riding his bike in Nicholson Park, south of Sydney, when he veered off the path to avoid a Swooping Magpie.
A Swooping Magpie is a native Australian bird that gets aggressive around breeding season in September and October.
Magpies can cause quite a bit of damage with their sharp beaks and sudden attacks.
The cyclist crashed into a fence and hit the ground, suffering serious head injuries.
Police said the man was airlifted to a local hospital, but died later that evening.
Magpies are protected native species in Australia and it’s illegal to kill them.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Woman shot at Thanksgiving family gathering in Raleigh; fines possible for COVID-19 violations, police say
- Family of woman hit by car after deadly shooting in Durham says he’s always worried for their safety
- Justin Timberlake donates new wheelchair accessible van for Tennessee teen
- Second stimulus check: President-elect Biden’s thoughts on $1,200 payments
- Child dead, 3 injured after house fire in South Carolina