Baby suffocates at South Carolina daycare; no charges filed

News
sc baby suffocates_166895

BELTON, S.C. (WSPA) – A 3-month-old baby boy who died at a home daycare in Belton, Friday afternoon, was swaddled in a blanket and put on his side before suffocating.

It happened at a home daycare on Youth Center Road.

The Anderson County coroner’s office say the caregiver put Tate William Kirby into a crib around 11:30am Friday and checked on him again at 1 p.m.

When she checked again right after 2 p.m., the baby boy had rolled over face down on the plastic mattress.

The coroner says the baby died from asphyxiation and called it an unfortunate accident.

No charges will be filed.

CPR was performed on the child until EMS arrived. He was taken to the hospital where he died.

The coroner said 5 children were in home. The caregiver is licensed to have 6 in the home.

The father of the child is a youth minister at Belton First Baptist Church.

The death was investigated by the Anderson County Sheriff’s Office, SLED, DSS and coroner as part of the Anderson County Child Fatality Team.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Click here for full list of trending stories