HOT SPRINGS, Va. (AP) – Authorities say a 12-year-old boy has died after being struck by lightning in the Virginia mountains.
Media outlets report the Bath County Sheriff’s Office saying the lightning strike occurred Saturday afternoon in the Hot Springs area. The office said the boy died late Sunday morning.
The office says the local rescue squad initially requested on Saturday a medical airlift for the boy, who wasn’t breathing.
But it couldn’t be arranged due to the bad weather. Instead, the boy was transported to Bath Community Hospital and later to Roanoke Carilion Hospital.
The sheriff’s agency says the boy was visiting family in the Hot Springs area, but no other details will be released. The boy’s name was also not released.
- NCDPI launches statewide K-12 job board
- Turtle dies after smashing through driver’s windshield in Georgia
- Homeless man accused of attacking, killing 94-year-old man in San Francisco
- Youth baseball beginning to resume across central North Carolina
- College student wanted in 2 Connecticut slayings is captured in Maryland
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now