The 12-year-old boy named Andres dropped a pitbull puppy off at a Mexican shelter with a note and a toy earlier this month.
In the letter, he describes an abusive father who kicked the dog hard enough to injure it.
“My name is Andrés and I am 12 years old. My mom and I decided to leave my dog in your hands, hiding it from my dad because he is thinking about selling him. But he mistreats and kicks him. One day he kicked him so hard that he hurt his tail. I hope you can help and take care of him,” he wrote in the letter.
He goes on to write — he left a toy for the dog so it won’t forget him.
The rescue group posted the story on its Facebook page.
It didn’t take long for hundreds of adoption requests to pour in for the pup named Rene.
He’s still getting medical treatment — but will be looking for a forever home soon.
Meanwhile, the rescue group wants to help other dogs in its shelter find homes too.
- 14-year-old girl wins $25,000 prize for research on potential coronavirus cure
- Man hospitalized after multiple bullet holes found in parked car, Durham police say
- In North Carolina, churches and businesses are supposed to enforce mask use, but many don’t
- NC woman told to pay back nearly $15,000 in unemployment benefits
- North Carolina woman goes to vote; told she’s ineligible because she’s dead
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now