TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Bud Light is capitalizing off of some people’s plans to storm Area 51 by releasing a special-edition beer for aliens.
“We’d like to be the first brand to formally announce that we will not be sponsoring the Area 51 raid,” the beer company announced in a tweet on Wednesday.
They followed up with a tweet that reads, “Screw it. Free Bud Light to any alien that makes it out.”
The tweet included a picture of a black and neon green special-edition can of beer featuring an alien-shaped head.
“We know of no space beer by any other life form which is brewed and aged to be more refreshing,” a greeting across the top of the can says.
When asked whether the beer was just a hoax, the company said “51,000 RTs and we’ll make it happen.”
The beer is a nod to the thousands of people on Facebook who have pledged to raid Area 51 to “see them aliens.”
The tongue-in-cheek affair entitled “Storm Area 51, They Can’t Stop All of Us,” is scheduled to take place at 3 a.m., September 20.
The event, which is clearly a joke, is hosted by a page entitled “S***posting cause im in shambles.”
More than 1 million people have signed up to attend the raid, prompting the U.S. Air Force to warn people to stay away from the base because of safety concerns.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Raleigh blogger creates viral social media template to demand brands amplify black voices
- Lawmaker: US has had worst response to COVID-19 pandemic worldwide
- VIDEO: Cyclist assaults teens over protest flyers along Maryland trail
- J.C. Penney closing 154 stores in first post-bankruptcy phase; 5 NC locations to close
- Smuggled migrants face added layers of danger in tractor-trailers
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now