Video courtesy of Bossier Parish Sheriff’s Office
HAUGHTON, La. (AP) — Louisiana authorities say a burglar effectively caught himself red-handed, unwittingly livestreaming his theft of a neighbor’s new surveillance camera.
The Bossier Parish Sheriff’s Office says the neighbor watched the crime unfold in real time, and recognized the culprit as 43-year-old Franklin Welzbacher Jr.
A sheriff’s statement says the stolen camera also showed things inside Welzbacher’s house.
Sheriff’s spokesman Bill Davis said Tuesday that Welzbacher told deputies he had permission to borrow a paint brush, but had nothing to say when asked about the camera.
His bond was set at $10,000 on a simple burglary charge. Davis said he doesn’t know whether Welzbacher has an attorney who could speak for him.
Latest news on CBS17.com:
- What an $80B funding boost to the IRS could mean for taxpayers
- ‘Lucky to be alive’: Ashton Kutcher opens up about rare autoimmune disorder
- NC police seek man after serious assault in Harris Teeter parking lot
- Perseid meteor shower reaches peak this week: When to see it
- DOT proposal: Travelers would receive refund if flight is canceled, postponed
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now