Video courtesy of Bossier Parish Sheriff’s Office
HAUGHTON, La. (AP) — Louisiana authorities say a burglar effectively caught himself red-handed, unwittingly livestreaming his theft of a neighbor’s new surveillance camera.
The Bossier Parish Sheriff’s Office says the neighbor watched the crime unfold in real time, and recognized the culprit as 43-year-old Franklin Welzbacher Jr.
A sheriff’s statement says the stolen camera also showed things inside Welzbacher’s house.
Sheriff’s spokesman Bill Davis said Tuesday that Welzbacher told deputies he had permission to borrow a paint brush, but had nothing to say when asked about the camera.
His bond was set at $10,000 on a simple burglary charge. Davis said he doesn’t know whether Welzbacher has an attorney who could speak for him.
Latest news on CBS17.com:
- Stretches of I-40 in Orange County to honor UNC coaches Dean Smith, Roy Williams
- Wednesday, December 8th: Licensed Therapist and Life Coach Shares Ways to Manage Holiday Anxiety; Holiday Baking Tips from the Pros
- Scott Peterson resentenced to life in prison for killing of pregnant wife Laci
- Deck the halls! Check out the Christmas decorations at the NC Executive Mansion
- Burn ban lifted in 67 NC counties, including Wake
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now