FRIEDENS, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania couple is accused of faking the birth and death of a baby to obtain more than $600 in donations and gifts from friends and family.
State police on Thursday charged Geoffrey and Kaycee Lang with theft by deception and receiving stolen property.
Authorities say the couple posted a photo on Facebook of a baby. They said the child was born July 3 but died hours later. Authorities say the photo matched the appearance of a “newborn look-a-like baby doll” that was found in their Somerset County home.
A GoFundMe account was established. The couple also had a baby shower in May.
Authorities say there was no record of the baby’s birth or death.
A number could not be found for the couple, and it was not clear if they had a lawyer.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Robeson County deputies investigating after man found dead on road
- Shake Shack’s first Triangle location opening Wednesday in Cary
- Mass shooting survivor: Bank could have saved victims
- Jury to weigh ex-school head’s lawsuit against writer Sparks
- SC deputies issue Stop Work Order for strip club posing as restaurant
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now