In this photo released by the El Salvador Presidential Press Office, inmates are lined up during a security operation under the watch of police at the Izalco prison in San Salvador, El Salvador, April 25.
Authorities crammed the face mask-wearing prisoners together tightly in a prison yard while searching their cells.
President Nayib Bukele ordered the crackdown after more than 20 people were murdered in the country and intelligence suggested the orders came from imprisoned gang leaders.
- Man accused of shooting infant daughter in the head during domestic incident in custody
- Shooting at Fayetteville apartment complex leaves man dead, police say
- 18-point deficit too much for UNC to overcome in non-conference loss to Marquette
- NC State earns upset win at No. 15 Virginia, handing Cavaliers 3rd loss in a row
- NC woman went shopping with $150K virus relief loan