KANSAS CITY, Mo. (WDAF) — Francisco Villegas may be the new manager at Kansas City grocery store Price Chopper, but his customers say he’s already like family.
Recently Villegas made such an impression on one of those customers that Alfonso Perez nominated Villegas for local TV news station WDAF’s Pay-It-Forward Award, which comes with $400 cash.
Perez said as he was checking out and noticed a woman asking the cashier to take a cake off of her bill because she didn’t have enough money.
The cashier called Villegas, the manager, to help remove the item, but what he ended up doing inspired Perez to share his experience on social media.
“He’s like ‘No, it’s a birthday cake – everyone deserves a cake,’ and he pulls out his own card and pays for it,” Perez said.
When WDAF and Perez presented Villegas with the award, Villegas was speechless.
- Cumberland County schools ask parents to choose among 3 options for school year
- Experience the “New Normal” with us
- Tuesday, July 14th : Experience the “New Normal” with us, Save on new floors for summer
- UNC doctor, after recovering from COVID-19, creates app to help health care workers with mental health
- Musicians join forces to raise money for Chapel Hill venue during pandemic
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now