(CNN) – Get ready – this might be the strangest item you’ve ever heard of selling at an auction.
An anonymous phone bidder in the United Kingdom paid $4,600 for this pair of underpants.
The unmentionables apparently belonged to Eva Braun.
She was Adolf Hitler’s mistress until 1945 when she married him just a day before the couple committed suicide.
If you’re wondering why anybody would want such an item, you’re not alone.
The Holocaust Educational Trust says items like this only belong in museums, where they can be displayed in the proper historical context.
The auction house that sold the panties says personal items from high-level World War II figures typically sell for high prices.
The same bidder also bought Braun’s cotton nightgown for about $3,200.
- Wisconsin GOP says hackers stole $2.3 million from Trump reelection effort
- Zeta brings flood risk, severe weather to western Carolinas
- Photos: Zeta leaves trail of downed trees and flooding as it races through the Carolinas
- Second stimulus checks: Here’s why Pelosi is aiming for a deal right after Election Day
- Another COVID-19 outbreak reported at Fuquay-Varina nursing home
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now