A sight so rare it’s never happened before in U.S. waters, but a team of scientists can boast their mission captured pictures of a giant squid!
The group was exploring an area about 100 miles from Alabama and Louisiana when they deployed a medusa camera below to check out marine life.
The camera was sent down five times to record for 24 hours, so the crew had 120 hours of film to log.
But as the saying goes, good things come to those who wait.
At the end of the footage, the scientists saw one tentacle at first.
But the giant squid eventually revealed itself.
This is only the second time ever that a giant squid has been caught on camera.
Latest news from CBS17.com:
- Group hosts celebration of life for Evelyn Boswell, whose mom is charged in her death
- Airlines hope proven cleaning techniques will bring passengers back to flying
- Possibly impaired driver smashes car into Raleigh flower shop, police say
- All-Black officiating crew makes NFL history
- Trio arrested in drive-by shooting that killed 10-year-old girl; 21 bullets fired into home
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now