JAY, Okla. (AP) – A northeast Oklahoma woman charged with forcing her children to eat dog feces has been given two, seven-year suspended prison sentences after pleading no contest to the charges.
The Tulsa World reports that 34-year-old Mary Elizabeth Moore of Miami was sentenced Friday after entering the plea in Delaware County District Court.
Moore was charged in April after her 5- and 3-year-old children were hospitalized in Tulsa for severe malnutrition and placed on nasal feeding tubes. Both children were placed into state custody.
An affidavit says the older child told Department of Human Services workers that she ate dog feces and said the arresting officer noted the child had parasitic pinworms.
Defense attorney Ken Gallon said Monday that Moore doesn’t admit wrongdoing, but decided to take a plea offer from prosecutors.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- US man drowns while proposing to girlfriend underwater in Africa
- Family of Whitey Bulger sues US government for $200M in wrongful death suit over fatal beating
- Monday Fur-cast | September 23
- Tracking the tropics: Jerry, Karen, Tropical Depression 13
- 6-year-old arrested, has mug shot taken following school tantrum
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now