JAY, Okla. (AP) – A northeast Oklahoma woman charged with forcing her children to eat dog feces has been given two, seven-year suspended prison sentences after pleading no contest to the charges.
The Tulsa World reports that 34-year-old Mary Elizabeth Moore of Miami was sentenced Friday after entering the plea in Delaware County District Court.
Moore was charged in April after her 5- and 3-year-old children were hospitalized in Tulsa for severe malnutrition and placed on nasal feeding tubes. Both children were placed into state custody.
An affidavit says the older child told Department of Human Services workers that she ate dog feces and said the arresting officer noted the child had parasitic pinworms.
Defense attorney Ken Gallon said Monday that Moore doesn’t admit wrongdoing, but decided to take a plea offer from prosecutors.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NCDPI launches statewide K-12 job board
- Turtle dies after smashing through driver’s windshield in Georgia
- Homeless man accused of attacking, killing 94-year-old man in San Francisco
- Youth baseball beginning to resume across central North Carolina
- College student wanted in 2 Connecticut slayings is captured in Maryland
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now