RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Many people are counting down the days until the grand opening of the state’s first Wegmans store here in Raleigh.
Despite the store not even being open yet, the City of Raleigh is already working to make sure the increase in traffic doesn’t lead to problems, including crashes.
The city met with developers of the shopping center Friday to talk about what can be done to improve the new intersection between Wegmans and Trader Joe’s.
If you’ve ever been down Wake Towne Drive, you probably know what the issue is. It’s a three-way stop, but some drivers don’t seem to understand what they’re supposed to do.
There are signs at the intersection that tell drivers what to do, but it hasn’t been entirely effective. There’s still a lot of confusion about who has the right of way.
The city and developers met Friday and decided to make no changes for now.
However, 20 off-duty police officers will be monitoring and directing traffic at the intersection during the September 29 opening of Wegmans.
There are currently no plans to change the intersection. However, officials said they will introduce improvement plans to the Raleigh City Council once the store opens.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 22-year-old charged with girlfriend’s murder in West Knoxville shooting
- 1 dead in motorcycle crash along S. Saunders St. near I-40 in Raleigh, police say
- Vendors grateful for opportunity presented by NC State Fair food event
- Triangle law enforcement issuing very few citations as COVID-19 cases continue to increase
- Pregnant ESPN reporter fires back after ‘troll’ tries to body-shame her
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now