ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. (WAVY) – A Coast Guard aircraft was stuck circling in the skies above Elizabeth City for several hours Monday.
It safely touched down on the runway just before 3:30 p.m.
The HC-130J Hercules aircraft took off from Coast Guard Station Elizabeth City at 9:49 a.m. At 10:48 a.m. a mechanical issue was discovered while in the air, according to a spokesperson from the Coast Guard 5th District Public Affairs.
The Coast Guard confirmed the issue was with the aircraft’s landing gear. A spokeswoman with the Coast Guard said they used gravity to help the landing gear deploy in order to land.
According to the Coast Guard, the HC-130J fleet carries out traditional missions, including search and rescue, cargo and personnel transport, law enforcement and international ice patrol.
- Samuel Adams Halloween beer now illegal in 15 states
- 13-year-old reported missing in Cumberland County
- Police: Kentucky man beat sister with pan, killed dad with crossbow
- WATCH: Lady Gaga falls off stage after fan tries to pick her up
- Man spots rare albino raccoon in his yard
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now