PLATTSMOUTH, Neb. (AP) — An eastern Nebraska couple has been sentenced to five years of probation for the death of one of their malnourished infant twin daughters.
Cass County District Court records show 24-year-old David Krutina Jr. and 21-year-old Kassandra Krutina also were sentenced Monday to perform 80 hours of community service. They live in Louisville.
They pleaded guilty in August to two counts of negligent child abuse causing serious injury. Prosecutors reduced the charges in return for the Krutinas’ guilty pleas.
The charges stem from the death of their 6-month-old daughter, Samantha. The Krutinas took her and her twin sister, Charlotte, to a hospital on Sept. 1, 2018. Both were underweight, and Samantha died.
An autopsy showed Samantha died of a bacterial infection caused by malnourishment.
- 3 teens arrested in string of violent robberies in Fayetteville, police say
- Years-long nurse shortage in NC exacerbated by pandemic, officials say
- 27 veterans die in COVID-19 outbreak at Illinois VA home
- Black and Blue Kickoff Live: Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey expected to miss game against Minnesota Vikings
- New mask material created at NC State makes up for shortage of N95, surgical masks
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now