(CNN) – No need to feel guilty about taking an afternoon nap.
A little extra sleep could actually be the best medicine for your heart!
A new study in the journal Heart found two naps a week can lower your risk of a heart attack or stroke.
Scientists looked at 3,500 people for 5 years and discovered that a nap or two, no matter how long or short, releases stress from a lack of sleep.
The authors say more research needs to be done on this.
So how long is the ideal nap?
The new study didn’t answer that question, but most experts say a 20-minute snooze is enough to increase alertness, performance and mood.
- Wake County eliminates waitlist for COVID-19 vaccine amid steady supply of doses
- Myrtle Beach man watched kids steal golf cart, laughed instead of stopping them, police say
- New amusement park brings jobs, growth to Myrtle Beach; expected to open May 3
- Fourth stimulus check: Nonprofit sees additional payments as vital
- Woman charged in deadly hit-and-run of 18-year-old who was walking to work
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now