WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) – The New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office has identified a man who was shot and killed during a home invasion early Sunday morning.
Hakim Hanifah, 31, of Wilmington, died in the incident, a Tuesday afternoon news release said. Lt. Jerry Brewer said Hanifah was a validated gang member.
According to a press release from the sheriff’s office, several men entered a home on Silverlake Road around 2:30 a.m. Sunday.
The homeowner woke up and gunfire ensued between the homeowner and the suspects, according to the NHCSO.
According to Brewer, Hanifah was shot and killed by the homeowner. The other suspects fled the scene.
This is an ongoing investigation.EARLIER: NC homeowner kills 1 of several home intruders during shootout, deputies sayWHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 2 MORE THAN $14,000 RAISED FOR GIRL BRUTALLY ATTACKED BY RACCOON
- RALEIGH COUPLE’S PIZZA-OBSESSED LOVE STORY COULD PAY OFF
- MOM DIES, DAUGHTER INJURED IN LILLINGTON HOUSE FIRE ON CHRISTMAS EVE
- UNITED APOLOGIZES TO PASSENGER WHO SAYS US REP GOT HER SEAT
- VIDEO: FRIENDS FOR 60 YEARS FIND OUT THEY’RE BIOLOGICAL BROTHERS