HURDLE MILLS, N.C. (WNCN) — Homicide detectives are investigating after a woman was found dead in Orange County Sunday afternoon, officials said.
The incident was reported just before 1:30 p.m. in the 2500 block of Brown Road in northern Orange County, said Orange County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Alicia Stemper.
“The initial report was a woman was lying in a yard deceased,” Stemper told CBS 17.
Stemper said the death is being investigated as a homicide. The area is about eight miles north of Hillsborough and just west of U.S. 501.
On Monday morning, authorities identified the woman as Anne Kirkpatrick, 46. She lived at the address where she was found, but she is originally from Concord, the sheriff’s office said.
“Conducting a thorough, successful investigation in this matter is our priority. Rest assured we are doing everything we can,” said Sheriff Charles Blackwood. “Investigator Baldwin and other members of our Criminal Investigations Division are committed to solving this crime and they work tirelessly to keep our community safe.”
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Sources: Security officers pulled off job at St. Augustine’s
- 2 dead as Imelda strands drivers, floods homes in Texas
- 29 years later, identity still unknown of woman found dead along I-40 in Orange County
- Presidential Candidate Bernie Sanders kicks off college tour at UNC-Chapel Hill
- Canada’s Trudeau comes under fire over brownface photo
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now